Having a thermometer at home is a convenient way to find out if someone has a fever at home or to keep track of the sick person’s temperature. However, it is important to understand the different types of thermometers that are available in the market in order to find the ideal one for you.
An ideal thermometer is one that is accurate, easy to operate, and convenient for the patient, and today we will tell you all you need to know about the different types of thermometers, so you can choose the right one for you.
1. Mercury Glass Thermometer: Now mostly considered outdated, the mercury glass thermometer was the most preferable thermometer at one point. These thermometers do not require batteries and can be used orally, rectally, or under the arm to accurately measure a person’s body temperature. However, they are no longer widely used due to the fact that they are made of glass, which is easily breakable, and contain mercury, which can be toxic.
2. Digital Thermometer: These thermometers show the patient’s temperature digitally with the help of heat sensors and operate on batteries. They are much easier to read in comparison to mercury thermometers and can be used orally, rectally and under the armpit. They are convenient and commonly preferred by people today, the only drawback of these thermometers is that their batteries have to be replaced periodically.
3. Digital Ear Thermometer: Also called Tympanic thermometers, these are specially created to measure temperatures from the ear using infrared technology. They are similar to regular digital thermometers and can also be used to take oral and rectal readings from the patient. However, they are not suitable for infants under the age of 6 months and are not very accurate due to obstructions like ear wax, small ear canal, etc
4. Infrared Thermometer: Infrared thermometers help measure the patient’s temperature from the forehead without coming in physical contact with the patient. These thermometers use infrared technology to measure the temperature and are now very commonly used in public spaces like stadiums, malls, et cetera. They are also suitable for infants as they are difficult to handle, which may cause trouble measuring the temperature orally.
5. Pacifier Thermometer: One of the easiest ways to measure the temperature of an Infant is the Pacifier thermometer. All you need to do is let your baby use the pacifier for a while and you will have the temperature. However, they are not very commonly used because they need to be kept in the infant’s mouth for at least 6 minutes and all they give you is a mere approximation of the patient’s temperature.
So now that you know everything you need to about the different types of thermometers, you can simply choose the most appropriate thermometers for yourself and your family based on their age, preference, and convenience. To select the right thermometer from the most trusted medical brands in India, check this out - Digital/Clinical Thermometer